Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tanulok Magyarul - I study Hungarian I


This fall I finally decided to take seriously my lifelong desire to learn Hungarian by taking language lessons at a local language school.  During the last two year I have studied Hungarian under various tutors and friends, but by going to language school I have become more motivated and my ability to understand Hungarian has increased.  Because Hungarian an extremely difficult language for English speakers to learn I am only able to have very simple conversations, but with each new word I can use to communicate there is another victory.  For me living in a foreign it is a great feeling to be able to communicate through reading, writing and speaking in the local language. It takes some of the helplessness of not understanding what is going on around you.

Below are some ways that Hungarian differs from English:
#1. There is only one word for he and she Ő (this is the easy part)
#2.  Hungarian most prepositions in Hungarian are formed by adding a suffix to the end of the word i.e. to say  in the store you would say “boltban” bolt=store ban=in
#3 Hungarian has 14 vowels: aá eé ii oó öő uú üű


No comments: